Saturday, July 28, 2012

Athenian Room FromMe2U

Athenian Room has been on my list of places to try for a long time. It has been in Lincoln Park for over 30 years, and I am embarrassed to say that Monday night was my FIRST time dining there. They have a nice outdoor seating area, but it was 95 degrees, so we opted to sit indoors. The restaurant is very quaint and lovely.

This restaurant is not BYOB; however, you can sneak through the red door by the entrance and slide on over to Glascott's for your beverage of choice. I was a little nervous about the wine selection at Glascott's, but I ordered the Malbec and it was surprisingly good. Once we got our drinks, we marched back over to Athenian room and decided to order the feta cheese appetizer. I know that must sound plain and boring, but it was delicious. A block of feta cheese is served on a small plate with olive oil drizzled over it and that combined with some warm french bread makes an excellent dish!
Feta Cheese with olive oil

Gyro

Sometimes it can take me a long time to order when I am dining out. I read the menu over and over until I finally figure out what I want to eat. Not this time. I knew I was ordering a gyro before I even walked in the door. I of course read the menu, because I was curious about what else they had. But the decision had been made. Gyro.
If you order the dinner (which I did) it comes with a heaping pile of gyro meat and sitting under the meat, absorbing the juices from it, are seasoned fries. They also give you a side of tzatzki sauce, a freshly made pita, and slices of onions and tomatoes. AMAZING. The food comes really fast, so if you like to take your time with your dinner like I do, I suggest pacing yourself and order your food when you are ready to eat. I will definitely be coming back to Athenian room. Try it. You won't be disappointed.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! Great descriptions of this place. It is now on my list of places to try!

    ReplyDelete